Friday, January 18, 2008

The story so far...

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris - The first book in her Harper Connelly series.
I like Charlaine Harris' books; this series and her Sookie Stackhouse series. They are engrossing, well paced, and have just enough sex and supernatural happenings to keep my interest. They're not rocket science, the search for g_d or a deep introspective historical novel of 1500 or so pages... they're fun, enormously engaging fun. Her heroines are real people... they wash the dishes, they worry about the little things, they have lives they just can't drop and run off to solve a mystery. People in them change, grow and make mistakes. Because of that I think they can't just be written off as fluff or shouldn't be, despite their entertainment factor.

Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris

An Ice Cold Grave by Charlaine Harris


Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America's Soul by Karen Abbott - A fascinating look at Chicago's best brothel at the turn of the last century.

The Cannon - see previous post - and I know I included it in 2007 books, but I didn't actually finish it until after new years.


Orpheus Lost by Janette Turner Hospital - Rendition... suspicion... contracted out military operations... black sites... torture... extra-judicial imprisonment... interrogation... paranoia.... insanity...
Who can you trust?
The person sleeping next to you?
A childhood friend?
A colleague?
Family?
How well do you know any of them?
How well does Leela-May Magnolia Moore know any of these people?
How does a person journey into the underworld to rescue their beloved in a post 9-11 world?
Read this book.... Read the damn thing while we are still living in the moment it describes.


Monkeyluv: And Other Essays on Our Lives as Animals by Robert M. Sapolsky - I love anthropology articles and books... I crave an understanding of the human condition and the biological aspects of it fascinate me.

Ha'Penny by Jo Walton - Sequel to Farthing (see previous post) Every bit as good as the first novel. Inspector Carmichael (with domestic scenes this time), another run in with members of the Larkin family, a first class mystery and Hitler himself... who could ask for more? More? Only in the form of more books in this series... I hope Jo Walton will give us more, I haven't felt this thrill of excitement from an alternate history book since I first discovered Harry Turtledove

Rereading
The Cabinet of Curiosities by Lincoln Child and Douglas J Preston - part of their Relic series.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm also reading:

The iPod Book: Doing Cool Stuff with the iPod and the iTunes Store by Scott Kelby and iPod & iTunes For Dummies by Tony Bove and Cheryl Rhodes
I finally joined the new millennium thanks to my Christmas present from my sister; an iPod nano.
Being obsessive compulsive me, I must know all about it... but stooping as far as a "Dummies" book?
Sometimes I embarrass myself.

No comments: